Friday, December 3, 2010

Lenses

I am pretty blind. Many people have not seen me without my contacts in, but I wear them and need them. It is how I am able to see, what allows me to drive legally and be involved with the world around me. Sight is active and for me to be active I have to have lenses that correct and shape the world around me so I can see it.

There is another word that is a lens that I am encountering more and more. This lens has a synonym, Worldview. A worldview is defined as: the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing natural philosophy; fundamental existential and normative postulates; or themes, values, emotions, and ethics. Additionally, it refers to the framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual interprets the world and interacts with it.

The framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual interprets the world and interacts with it. An all encompassing philosophy that manifests itself in action and interaction with the world around you. A lens that you see things as and then helps shape how you act and what you think about.

I see today and people with worldviews and lenses that are supposedly carefree and freedom giving. But digging into these thoughts and extrapolating the lenses to their base premise or furthest extent lends to an interesting path. What worldviews do you see around you? In the youth you see or have?

I see so little Hope, and so much self. Freedom comes from thinking free of "old" stuff or "religion" or a BCE (cause Before Christ is too much) thought process. You must not have this thought, but be free..... to have OUR thought.
Come join our worldview, you did not even know that you were us but you KNOW that your not them. So come, speak up, look at us as free and thinkers and judge everything by your circumstances. Or I just see apathy and anger, it should not be this way, and if you say it is God's world and life is this way, forget that. Reason and human thought, science are the grounds for everything. But we have been taught and told this and that is all I know. Even so much as I do not care about your thoughts as long as it is not "religious." Life is relative, nothing is concrete, except what you can see, feel and quantitate.

The problem comes in with a need for a cornerstone, a basis to lean on. Circumstances change, everyday something new happens. You cannot control what will happen to you in the next instance, it is beyond you because it is affected by others. If my circumstance is ok and yours is ok, you do what you do and I'll do mine how does that work? What happens when conflict happens in worldviews and circumstances, who is right and where do you turn but self? And isn't there more than just seeing and quantitative aspects of life. Feelings go deeper than brain chemicals to me... and affects of life around me go beyond physical. And arguments can be counter productive but at some point someone is wrong correct? There is so much more... I need a cornerstone and want to have clear vision on things.

Absolutes are missing in this world. Are there absolutes? I think there has to be at the base level. Circumstances can throw a wrench in how you think about absolutes and what that means to hold to a Truth, but where is hope anchored to if all is relative and bound to change and struggle.

I am learning and seeing worldviews around me, ones similar to my own, some that are close in some areas and different in others, some that are diametrically opposed to mine, and some so apathetic to mine or others they fall in their own category. But I do want mine to be challenged, to think, to learn to grow into a mature worldview and perspective. Spouting my ideas in all reality mean nothing because it is just as valid as yours at the maximum if it is only my personal values morals and ethics. But if i am challenged in mine as well as grafting in something that is beyond me, that claims Truth, then either that will have authority and bearing on my thoughts or it is wrong and i will be on the wrong path. Things are clearer, in a crazy way.

For me I lean, trust, and experience the Hope that is grounded in the Truth of the BIBLE. It claims to be the Living Word of God. If it is and i trust it then I feel I will be shaped by it and my worldview has an anchor to grow from. If it is not true, then I will find that out at somepoint, but I choose to hold fast to it and experience all that it has to offer and teach, as well as experience.

I dont want to be that horse. Now that it is Christmas time you see the horse taxi and sleighs. There are always beautiful creatures doing a great and fun purpose. But they are necessarily blindered. They have blinders and are led in the path from behind. Their lenses are blurry. I want to be challenged, grown, and firm in my training, thought and belief in Christ, his Word and Truth that I am more like a police horse. A trained and regimented but ultimately freer entity that will react and follow well when necessary. I would have clear lenses, sight and readiness, a freedom to continue and move.

So often we do not challenge and look to think on and grow in our lives and thought processes. We must! Looking, discussing, learning, listening and challenging is how you grow and take hold of Truth. Sometimes digging will lead us to see the cornerstone to which we hold, I pray that when it is found it is something you want to follow, because you have been following it for a long time then.

How will you challenge yourself to challenge think and see how your thoughts, values and morality plays out? Does it match up to what you want it to? What you think it does? What Christ says to value? What will lead you to freedom and life?

Get that contact solution out and unblurr your lenses. If you dont then you may get so used to having blurry sight that you forget that sight can be anything different.

No comments: